Thursday 26 July 2012

Boeka On The Beach

The fast is here and I am in a different mind space... But sometimes you get so distracted with doing other things that you don’t realize how much time you actually waste doing these unimportant things

The hardest thing about the fast is not really the hunger part
It’s everything else that comes with it
Controlling your temper
Keeping your thoughts pure and clean

The Ramadan is a time to ponder, reflect, repent.It’s a time for change, by doing small things....


There is a hadeeth that is as follows:


Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle said, “Fasting is a shield (or a screen or a shelter). So, the person observing fasting should avoid sexual relation with his wife and should not behave foolishly and impudently, and if somebody fights with him or abuses him, he should tell him twice, ‘I am fasting.” The Prophet added, “By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, the smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the smell of musk. (Allah says about the fasting person), ‘He has left his food, drink and desires for My sake. The fast is for Me. So I will reward (the fasting person) for it and the reward of good deeds is multiplied ten times.”



It’s amazing how many things you notice during this time that you never really saw, how many things you appreciate more...

Like when I am driving to or from work... The beauty of the world that we are live in... The grass is greener, even the mist looks more beautiful and more mysterious

Then I had an encounter with an asylum. And it made had me thinking and appreciating my life and my sanity and the way the creator has made me.


Why is there so much hostility in the world during this time? I thought this was a month of peace, but all around me I am seeing people act out. Is it just their test? Or have they lost their patients because they hungry LOL



What I really look forward to in the Ramadan is our mass boeka (Iftar). All my cousins and friends and friends of friends come. Just us youngsters. Anyone that is considered "youth" can come. We come together and bring whatever we can. Every year it is at a different location.

I remember our first mass Iftar:
It was on the beach. We were all rushing to get there on time, and then trying to hear the athaan (Call to prayer). (Didn’t have a radio...LOL). Finally when we saw the sun had set we broke our fast. Made our prayer on the beach. It was allot of fun and very cold. But that didn’t stop some of us to jump into the freezing water....


MEMORIES I WILL NEVER FORGET 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment